The Bainskloof Ultra Marathon and Half Marathon start in the historic Boland town of Wellington. The ultra-marathon route takes you out from Wellington through Bainskloof towards the town of Ceres. The first 20 kilometres will prove challenging where you will reach the highest point. From this point the course becomes easier where you make your way to the turnaround point at Bergsig Kelders. The cut-off time is four hours at the halfway mark. The half marathon follows the same route and makes its way well into the pass when you turn around and return to Wellington.
About Bainskloof Pass: Situated on the R303 and is part of the Lamietberg Nature Reserve which was declared a national monument in 1980 and is part of the Cape floral kingdom. The pass has many flowering plants, bird species and other small animals. The pass was built by Scotsman Andrew Geddes Bain in 1853 and is one of the most scenic passes in the Cape.
A stone throw from the hustle and bustle of Cape Town lays the town of Wellington. This little town is full of surprises and has plenty heart and soul. Wellington forms the centre of the Cape Winelands where the Berg River flows along the western border with two smaller streams, the Spruit and Kromme. Being a farming area they produce deciduous and citrus fruits. Olives, apricots, avocado pears and wine grapes make up some of their crops. The area has more than 30 local wineries including a brandy industry. Wellington is also home to the country’s only indigenous whiskey. Wellington has many restaurants, arts and craft and shops to explore. The town hosts many other events throughout the year from the SA Cheese Festival to various sporting events and wine tasting. A must visit for wine lovers is the Diemersfontein Wine Estate where they are also the hosts of the Pinotage on Tap festival. Pinotage is a uniquely South African varietal and is a cross between Pinot noir and Cinsaut.
Places to stay
- Grand Dédale Country House
- Augusta Kleinbosch Guest Farm
- Diemersfontein Country Estate
- ABSA Cape Epic in March
- Safari Half Marathon in May
- Wellington Gravel Travel MTB Festival in May
- Bergriver Canoe Marathon in July
- Pinotage On Tap in October
- 03 August 2013 – PPC Riebeeck Berg Marathon, Half Marathon & 10 km
- 09 August 2013 – Desert Flower Walk/Run (21km), Botswana
- 18 August 2013 – Reutech Solution John Korasie 30 km Run, Simons Town
- 23 August 2013 – Umgeni River Run Ultra Marathon & Trail Festival – 3 Days, Inanda Dam
- 31 August 2013 – Nelson Mandela Bay City Marathon, Port Elizabeth
- 08 September 2013 – Medihelp Dolphin Coast Ultra 50 km, Half Marathon & 10 km
- 14 September 2013 – Two Countries at Musina Marathon
- 21 September 2013 – Laingsburg Karoo Ultra Marathon
- 02 September 2013 – Cape Town City Marathon & 10 km
- 22 September 2013 – Ethekwini Township to Township Marathon
- 29 September 2013 – Bonitas City2City Ultra Marathon, Half Marathon & 10 km
Interested in this run or any other sporting event in Southern Africa? Why not contact us via email on firstname.lastname@example.org and let us put together a free quote for your individual travel needs. We look forward to hearing from you.