Voet van Africa Marathon and Half Marathon is still on.
The Voet van Africa Marathon is held in the town of Bredasdorp in the Western Cape. The motto for this race is “The toughest race with the warmest heart” holds true for this race as the hospitality of the town is warm and friendly and the route is challenging. The marathon is run partly on gravel roads and consists of a tough mountain climb but is rewarded with spectacular views as the route takes you through fynbos covered areas and surrounding farmlands. The tough climb takes you 280m up the Soutmuisberg which is then followed by a steep descent to the town of Napier. From there you head back to the town of Bredasdorp where your energy levels will have to be saved as this is where your race could be lost.
The half marathon takes you along the Soutmuisberg and over the town’s dam wall. The race is consistently voted by Runner’s World as a well organised and presented event and in 2010 was voted as the 3rd best marathon event and the half marathon as the 9th best.
Bredasdorp lies in the Southern Overberg region of the Western Cape and is roughly two hours by car from Cape Town. The town is about 35km from Cape Agulhas which is the southernmost tip of Africa. The farming activities are chiefly grain, cattle and sheep farming and fynbos cultivation.
Things of interest in Bredasdorp:
- Dutch Reformed Church which was built in 1911 in the Cape Gothic style of architecture
- The Shipwreck Museum with the collection of artefacts and furniture from ships wrecks along the South African coastline.
- The massive milkwood tree on the farm Rhenosterfontein which is a national monument and considered to be one of the largest of its kind.
- De Hoop Nature and Marine Reserve which has unspoilt Cape Fynbos and is a protected marine reserve. The reserve is home to the endangered Cape mountain Zebra and Cape Vultures. De Hoop also brags one of the best whale watching areas between June and December. The De Hoop Whale Trail is a must for hikers and nature lovers.
- De Mond Nature Reserve which lies at the mouth of the Heuningnes River supports several species of small animals and has a rich and varied birdlife.
Towns close to Bredasdorp include Arniston, L’Agulhas (southernmost town in Africa), Napier, Caledon and Swellendam.
Places to stay
- Aghulas Ocean Art House
- Die Opstal
- 08 September 2013 – Medihelp Dolphin Coast Ultra 50 km, Half Marathon & 10 km
- 14 September 2013 – Two Countries at Musina Marathon
- 21 September 2013 – Laingsburg Karoo Ultra Marathon
- 02 September 2013 – Cape Town City Marathon & 10 km
- 22 September 2013 – Ethekwini Township to Township Marathon
- 29 September 2013 – Bonitas City2City Ultra Marathon, Half Marathon & 10 km
- 06 October 2013 – Amatola Maraton
- 11 October 2013 – Merrell Hobbit 100 – Amatola Trail Run – 2 Days 100km
- 12 October 2013 – The 10th Mutter – 2 Days (85 KM)
- 13 October 2013 – OUTsurance 94.5KFM Gun Run 21.1km
- 17 October 2013 – Kalahari Augrabies Extreme Marathon – 7 days 245km
- 20 October 2013 – Constantia Grape Run 21.1km
- 26 October 2013 – Crazy Store 1 000 Hills Trail Challenge 10km, 20km, 41km
- 26 October 2013 – BASF 32 km, Half Marathon & 10 km
Interested in this run or any other sporting event in Southern Africa or just plain travel? Why not contact us via email on firstname.lastname@example.org and let us put together a free quote for your individual travel needs. We look forward to hearing from you.