The PPC Cement Riebeeck Bergmarathon is a very picturesque marathon set in the scenic Riebeeck Valley. The 2013 race will be the 28th time this event has taken place and is also a Comrades qualifier. There is also a 21.1km half marathon and a 10km and 5km fun run/walk. The marathon is very popular with stunning views, coupled with a friendly atmosphere.
The marathon is relatively challenging as it starts off easy where a hill follows around the 10km mark to test one’s limit. Another hill follows just after the hallway mark and thereafter the race becomes moderate that leads to an easy finish.
Each finisher is presented with a commemorative bottle of wine and refreshments.
The Riebeek Valley is only one hour from Cape Town and incorporates the town and areas of Riebeek West, Riebeek Kasteel, Riebeeksrivier and Hermon and is nestled on the slopes of the Kasteelberg and surrounded by vineyards, olive groves and wheatlands. The Riebeek Valley is well known for its olives, wine and warm hospitality and boasts numerous restaurants, art galleries and boutique shops.
The Riebeek Valley has a wide range of accommodation to choose from, places to eat and drink or even retail therapy. A must when in the Riebeek Valley is to taste the delicious olives, wines and other “home-made” products on offer.
You could even make this your base where you can explore wine routes, the Karoo and beaches.
Places to stay
- Bartholomeus Klip Farmhouse (www.bartholomeusklip.com)
- Royal Hotel (www.royalinriebeek.com)
- Shades of Provence (www.shadesofprovence.com)
- Olive Festival in May
- Shiraz and Art Weekend in October
- MedFest in March
- Riebeek West Funky FRESH MARKET – every first Saturday of the month 9am – 1pm
- 06 July 2013 – UTI Rhodes Trail run (52km), Grahamstown
- 06 July 2013 – Pick ‘n Pay Cape Times Knysna Forest Marathon and Half Marathon
- 19 July 2013 – Washie 100 Miler, Port Alfred
- 03 August 2013 – PPC Riebeeck Berg Marathon, Half Marathon & 10 km
- 09 August 2013 – Desert Flower Walk/Run (21km), Botswana
- 18 August 2013 – Reutech Solution John Korasie 30 km Run, Simons Town
- 23 August 2013 – Umgeni River Run Ultra Marathon & Trail Festival – 3 Days, Inanda Dam
- 31 August 2013 – Nelson Mandela Bay City Marathon, Port Elizabeth
Give us a try…..